Comstock’s magazine, named Best Business Magazine and Best Consumer Web Publication by the Western Publishing Association, seeks an experienced and visionary managing editor for its monthly print publication. Comstock’s magazine is the premier business publication for California’s Capital Region, which includes Sacramento and the 9 surrounding counties. This position will report to the publisher and be part of the key decision-making team with an opportunity for upward mobility.
An ideal candidate will have a solid background in editorial management, including experience managing freelance writers and in-house staff. The position has two key elements: 1) commissioning high-quality content that engages readers around an array of topics and issues that face business leaders; 2) coordinating print production so that the magazine is published on time and on budget.
The right candidate is an extremely organized project manager, a deft copy editor, and a born collaborator. If you have a knack for getting other people to meet deadlines while never missing your own, are excited about the opportunity to oversee production of an award-winning magazine, and have excellent communication skills, we’re looking for you.
Comstock’s is a modern media company. While our print publication has been a regional staple for going on 30 years, our website and digital platforms are constantly evolving. An ideal candidate will be forward-thinking with a working knowledge of current industry trends, including delivery methods and revenue sources.
- Manage schedule and workload for editorial department by developing, implementing and enforcing deadlines and running monthly editorial meetings
- Assign and edit features per editorial calendar and manage editorial budget
- Oversee web, front of book content and special sections
- Oversee implementation of editorial digital products, such as video and podcast offerings
- Produce online editorial calendar and work with marketing team on implementation and digital enhancements
- Attend monthly board meetings and community events as needed
- Manage press cycle: ensure magazine is delivered on time and on budget, troubleshooting throughout the process as needed.
- Work with design team on overall artistic concept for themed issues
- Work with writers and designers to identify options for feature artwork
- Provide feedback on photos for features, web, front of book and special sections
- Work with publisher and VP of business development to guide overall direction of the magazine
- Attend events and represent Comstock’s in the community
- AP Style
- Google Drive
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Ability to multitask
- Networking savvy and business acumen
- 3 years experience in upper editorial management
- MBA or
- Degree in journalism, english or communications or
- Proven alternative that checks this box with a bold stroke.
This is a full-time, permanent position. Salary is 55K-65K, commensurate with experience and with room to grow.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and one work sample (that you’ve either written or edited) to jobs [at] comstocksmag.com. Subject line must read “Comstock’s Editor” for consideration.