50 Bikes for 50 Kids is a community service event that matches 50 well-deserving youth with teams of volunteers to assemble a bike for each child on the team. These “volunteer engineers” hail from local community organizations and businesses, and range from bike enthusiasts to mechanical novices. Prior to the event, volunteers attend a class taught by professional bicycle mechanics in order to learn how to construct a bike. The mentors pass this knowledge onto the youngsters who then help assemble the bike and get valuable hands-on experience on teamwork, building and the construction of a bicycle.
Bike recipients are nominated by local youth organizations based on a demonstration of the Content of Character: Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring and Citizenship.
United, the volunteers are able to give local youth the gift of healthy recreation that encourages both sustainable transportation and a better future — for the young recipients and the community as a whole.
50 Bikes for 50 Kids is now recruiting for the following volunteer roles:
• Bike Builder: Assist bike recipients with the assembly of their bicycles, act as a mentor, and ensure safety at all times. Knowledge in bike mechanics is helpful but not necessary, we will train you! – 2 1/2 hour time commitment.
• Bike Mechanic: Assist bike building teams throughout the assembly process. Knowledge in bike mechanics is necessary. Lunch included. – 6 hour time commitment, 9:00 AM-3:00 PM
• Registration & Finish Area Volunteer: Orient bike recipients and bike builders before and after their bike build. This is will include distributing t-shirts, providing helmet fittings, taking pictures, and more. Volunteers will be trained. – 4 hour time commitment.
• General Event Support: Assist with set-up, clean-up and other varied tasks. – Varied time commitments.
• Skills Course Volunteer: Assist with outdoor skills course for bike recipients. Knowledge and comfort in bike riding necessary. Lunch included. – 6 hour time commitment, 10:30 AM-4:30 PM.
To register to be a volunteer or to become a sponsor, contact Abbey Harding at email@example.com, call 419-9955, or register online at http://northnatomastma.org/bike/50-bikes