50 Bikes for 50 Kids is a community service event that matches 50
well-deserving youth with teams of volunteers to assemble a bike
for each child on the team. These “volunteer engineers” hail from
local community organizations and businesses, and range from bike
enthusiasts to mechanical novices. Prior to the event, volunteers
attend a class taught by professional bicycle mechanics in order
to learn how to construct a bike. The mentors pass this knowledge
onto the youngsters who then help assemble the bike and get
valuable hands-on experience on teamwork, building and the
construction of a bicycle.
Bike recipients are nominated by local youth organizations based on a demonstration of the Content of Character: Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring and Citizenship.
United, the volunteers are able to give local youth the gift of healthy recreation that encourages both sustainable transportation and a better future — for the young recipients and the community as a whole.
50 Bikes for 50 Kids is now recruiting for the following volunteer roles:
• Bike Builder: Assist bike recipients with the
assembly of their bicycles, act as a mentor, and ensure safety at
all times. Knowledge in bike mechanics is helpful but not
necessary, we will train you! – 2 1/2 hour time commitment.
• Bike Mechanic: Assist bike building teams throughout the assembly process. Knowledge in bike mechanics is necessary. Lunch included. – 6 hour time commitment, 9:00 AM-3:00 PM
• Registration & Finish Area Volunteer: Orient bike recipients and bike builders before and after their bike build. This is will include distributing t-shirts, providing helmet fittings, taking pictures, and more. Volunteers will be trained. – 4 hour time commitment.
• General Event Support: Assist with set-up, clean-up and other varied tasks. – Varied time commitments.
• Skills Course Volunteer: Assist with outdoor skills course for bike recipients. Knowledge and comfort in bike riding necessary. Lunch included. – 6 hour time commitment, 10:30 AM-4:30 PM.
To register to be a volunteer or to become a sponsor, contact Abbey Harding at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 419-9955, or register online at http://northnatomastma.org/bike/50-bikes