Website Terms and Conditions of Use
By accessing this website, you are agreeing to be bound by these website Terms and Conditions of Use, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site. The materials contained in this website are protected by applicable copyright and trade mark law.
2. Use License
a. Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials (information or software) on Comstock’s Publishing, Inc. (heretofore referred to as “Comstock’s”) website for personal, non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license, not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
- modify or copy the materials
- use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
- attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on Comstock’s website;
- remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
- transfer the materials to another person or “mirror” the materials on any other server.
b. This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by Comstock’s at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
a. The materials on Comstock’s website are provided “as is.” Comstock’s makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, Comstock’s does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet website or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
In no event shall Comstock’s or its suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption,) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on Comstock’s Internet site, even if Comstock’s or a Comstock’s-authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
5. Revisions and Errata
The materials appearing on Comstock’s website could include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. Comstock’s does not warrant that any of the materials on its website are accurate, complete, or current. Comstock’s may make changes to the materials contained on its website at any time without notice. Comstock’s does not, however, make any commitment to update the materials.
Comstock’s has not reviewed all of the sites linked to its Internet website and is not responsible for the contents of any such linked site. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by Comstock’s of the site. Use of any such linked website is at the user’s own risk.
8. User Commenting
Comstock’s provides this forum to encourage a thoughtful discussion or debate that is relevant to the article. We welcome your insight or well-informed criticism; however, remarks that are off-topic, abusive or contain expletives will be deleted. We value diverse and educated perspectives. Enjoy!
8. Governing Law
Any claim relating to Comstock’s website shall be governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of law provisions.
General Terms and Conditions applicable to Use of a Website.
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a resident of California, you have certain additional privacy rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). The CCPA requires disclosure of certain information Comstock’s may collect through the course of ordinary business, including information about Comstock’s print and/or digital subscribers.
Right to know
Under the CCPA, California-based residents have the right to know:
- The categories of personal information Comstock’s collects and the categories of sources from which we get our information;
- The business or commercial purpose for which Comstock’s uses personal information collected from you;
- The categories of third parties and other entities with whom Comstock’s share any personal information collected from you;
- The categories of third parties and other entities with whom Comstock’s share personal information, if any, and;
- How to access specific pieces of personal information Comstock’s collects from you.
Additionally, you may have other rights under the CCPA not mentioned above. These rights are not absolute, and in some cases, Comstock’s may decline your request as permitted by law.
For viewers of our website:
Comstock’s does not collect personal information directly from our online visitors. However, Comstock’s does use third party services, including Google Analytics and Google AdSense, to gauge reader interest across articles and other portions of our website and to serve commercial advertisements that support our original journalism. For CCPA-related requests involving data Google may collect as part of these services, please click or tap here.
For subscribers of our web newsletter(s):
Comstock’s uses Mailchimp, a third party service, for newsletter sign-ups and distribution. For CCPA-related requests involving data Mailchimp may collect as part of this service, please click or tap here.
For followers or other users of Comstock’s-branded social media platforms:
Comstock’s uses services offered by Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn to interact with readers, sources, freelance writers, photographers, employees and sales clients. Each service is responsible for processing CCPA-related requests; please refer to the privacy policies of each service for information on how to review or request data for deletion.
For listeners of Comstock’s audio products:
Comstock’s uses Libsyn to host and distribute files and other data associated with our audio products. Libsyn is responsible for processing CCPA-related requests; please contact Libsyn with your request by clicking or tapping here.
For print subscribers:
Comstock’s collects a limited amount of personal information that may be necessary to fulfill our business obligations, including fulfillment of print subscription services through various delivery means. To fulfill these services, Comstock’s typically requests a full name and a complete mailing address, among other things. You have the right to request a review and/or deletion of this information and may do so by clicking or tapping here. You can also email your request to email@example.com or call our office at (916) 364-1000.
For all other inquiries:
Please click or tap here, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at (916) 364-1000.