Sacramento is the perfect place to make beer. With multiple rivers, and fields of wheat and hops, this region was the top producer of hops from the Gold Rush till Prohibition, and the largest brewing center west of the Mississippi River. A century later, we’re having another Beer Boom, with at least one new craft brewery popping up every month.
Join California Groundbreakers for its first of three “Brews at The Barn” events. For this discussion on all things beer, come listen to brewers and beer pros who know how to turn water and wheat into award-winning stouts and saisons. They’ll tell you where California’s craft beer scene is at, where it’s headed next, what their own plans are, and how it’s going to affect the beers and breweries you love.
- Charles Bamforth: Professor of Malting & Brewing Sciences at UC Davis, a.k.a. “The Pope of Foam” and “Mr. Beer.”
- Ken Anthony: owner of Device Brewing, who went from engineer and home brewer to running one of Sacramento’s most respected breweries in just three years — but still gets insomnia attacks at 2 a.m.
- Tom McCormick: executive director of the California Craft Brewers Association, who keeps an eye on how the drought, proposed legislation, and beer-specific mergers and acquisitions will affect the brewing industry statewide.
- J-E Paino: owner of Ruhstaller Beer, who just had to shut down the tasting room at his Dixon hop farm after a battle with Solano County over permitting and building codes, but says he has “big plans” for the future.
- Teresa Psuty: brewmaster at the brand-new Crooked Lane Brewery in Auburn — and yes, one of the few female brewmasters in California
The event is free to attend. And of course, there will be beer — local brewers will be pouring their latest seasonals.
- 5:30 - 6:00 pm: Barn doors open — grab a beer, admire the river and cityscape views, find a seat
- 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 pm: Moderator interviews panelists, then the audience gets to ask the questions
- 7:30-8:00 pm: Mix and mingle with the panelists and each other
To register, click here.