54 hours to develop startup ideas that will boost global sustainability!
What is Startup Weekend ?
Do you have an idea you’d like to pursue or a problem you’d like to solve but don’t know where to start or who to start with?
Startup Weekend is the place to look for a team, create a prototype of your idea, validate your business idea, and receive feedback from experienced entrepreneurs, all in one weekend. The last decade, we’ve organized more than 4,000 in over 150 countries, consolidating Startup Weekend as the biggest incubator for the world!
An event open for all ages, experience levels and backgrounds, of motivated people with ideas or willing to join other teams and improve the sustainability of their communities and the world. If you’re looking for a team, co-founder, mentors or an idea to leave your mark in the world, Startup Weekend is the event for you.
This edition will be part of the Global Startup Weekend Sustainable Revolution, a global initiative led by volunteers in order to put sustainable development at the forefront of the world stage.
Here in Sacramento the Startup Weekend will take place on June 21-23. At the same time, more than 50 cities around the world will organize their own Startup Weekend on sustainability! After that, a final round online will be held where each local winner will pitch its idea in a one minute video. The 5 best projects elected by the public will get special prizes to help them launch their startups in real life!
Why a Startup Weekend on sustainability?
Because environmental sustainability is one of the biggest challenges humanity is facing, it’s our duty to help entrepreneurs find the best solutions to overcome it.
The challenges of entrepreneurship in sustainability you can work in during this weekend are diverse:
- Build eco-conceived products & reverse planned obsolescence
- Substitute the disposable by the sustainable
- Reduce food waste
- Foster local production and local distribution
- Build a sustainable agriculture and a sustainable food industry
- Build highly energy efficient products and systems
- Produce sustainable energy
- (Re)Build sustainable buildings
- Design resilient, smart and inclusive cities
- Design Fintech for inclusive sustainable finance and markets
- Build the future of sustainable transportation
- Foster education on sustainability
Don’t be shy — join us to experience an exciting weekend full of all the highs and lows of the life as a startup founder. Even if you think you might be lacking some skills, your ideas and motivation are worth more than you think!
What do you need to bring?
- Lots of energy! You’ll pitch your own idea or listen to others, then vote on the most interesting ideas and form teams with diverse skill sets. You can come with friends, but you’ll get the full experience if you participate in separate teams. Remember, it’s all about the team.
- Your idea should be something you have not previously worked on and needs to be related with sustainability.
- Over the course of the weekend you’ll be challenged to create a prototype of your MVP, or minimum viable product, that fits the needs of your target customer. You’ll get feedback, iterate, build a viable business model and likely pivot your approach entirely!
- Important: You cannot have worked previously on your idea.
How to participate?
Startup Weekend is a full weekend long experience.
Your ticket includes:
- Hands-on chance to learn the process for going from concept to creation.
- Opportunity to meet experienced, talented, and passionate entrepreneurs in your city.
- 7 full (and delicious) meals over the course of the weekend.
- Benefits and discounts from our global partners.
- One-on-one time with amazing mentors.
- Focused time to learn and practice new skills to take back to your job or to take your own idea from concept to creation.
- A new network of developers, designers, and entrepreneurs eager, like you, to change the world.
- All the internet and coffee you can consume.
- Time to present your final pitch to a select panel of judges and investors.
- A LOT OF FUN!
This event is organized by volunteers, teams are coached by professional mentors, and all is possible with the support of great partners
For full event details including speakers, mentors, schedule and more, visit our Primary Event Page here.
Still have questions? Feel free to reach us at email@example.com.
Don’t wait any longer and join the Startup Weekend movement! No talk, all action!
* Be careful: participating in a Startup Weekend presents a risk of resigning on Monday morning to set up your Startup, live your dreams and make the world a better place!