About the Position:
Comstock’s seeks a creative and motivated Editorial Designer to collaborate on its award-winning monthly print publication. Comstock’s is the premier business publication for California’s Capital Region, which includes Sacramento and the nine surrounding counties.
An ideal candidate will have a solid design background, including experience creating illustrations and infographics. The Editorial Designer is a key member of the production team and works hand in hand with the editorial and sales departments.
The position has two key elements: finding and creating artwork for editorial departments (6-7 articles for the print publication each month), as well as their layout, and being responsible for laying out our special promotional sections. The Editorial Designer will work closely with the Art Director and the editorial team.
- Find or create artwork for and layout departments (6-7 articles for the print publication each month)
- Design and create our special promotional sections and work closely with our special sections editor.
- Oversee the work of the Ads Designer
- Support and assist the Art Director
- Uploading Digital Content to our website
- Assist with multiple rounds of review, making edits as needed
- A sense of humor and a high level of enjoyment in working with other professionals
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
- Expert knowledge in the use of design concepts (layout, typography, color, white space, and grid. Understanding of print concepts (bleed, resolution, and color). Awareness of emerging web, design, and social trends and techniques. Awareness of user centered design processes and methods.
- Google Drive
- Working knowledge of Mac
- Ability to multitask, work quickly, maintain organization and meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritize, time-management
- Ability to take ownership of assigned projects from beginning to end
- Motivated, optimistic team-player
- Photography or illustration skills is a plus (not required)
- 2 years experience in design
- Experience in laying out editorial content
- Strong portfolio, showcasing SOLID design, color, and typography sensibilities
- Experience in creating illustrations and infographics is highly preferred
This is a full-time/40 hrs weekly, at-will position. Salary is offered at $18.00hr and benefits.
To apply, email resume, cover letter and portfolio to email@example.com and to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Editorial Designer” in the subject line for consideration.